jmannarano

I bought a new house in May 2016, how do I claim the amount I paid on the apartment I was living in before moving in? (In order to claim part of the property tax)

DianeW

There is no deduction for renting an apartment before moving into your home.  Property taxes on an apartment you do not own are not deductible.

Any property taxes that were paid, including your prorated share of taxes for your period of ownership (shown on the settlement statement) and any out of pocket payments after purchase (or amounts for property taxes paid from escrow during your ownership period) can be deducted on itemize deductions.

DianeW