turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emjtobias

I bought a new car in 2016, can I deduct sales tax I paid at time of purchase or interest on loan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

I bought a new car in 2016, can I deduct sales tax I paid at time of purchase or interest on loan?

Yes, you can deduct sales tax if you itemize your deductions and are claiming a state sales tax deduction (as opposed to a state income tax deduction).

As for the interest on a personal auto loan, you will not be able to claim a deduction for this interest. The IRS does not allow an interest deduction on a personal loan for a personal use vehicle.

Please note that you would only be able to claim this sales tax deduction if you itemize so if this is your only itemized deductions, you will want to just take the standard deduction.

Sales Tax Deduction - You have the choice to deduct the general sales tax for your state (as opposed to state income taxes) and include the sales tax for all your major purchases. TurboTax will guide you in determining which of these provides you will the larger deduction.

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) and click on "Take me to my return") type "Sales Tax Deduction" in the search bar then select "jump to Sales Tax Deduction". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

Alternatively, to enter your sales taxes and major purchases in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Deductions & Credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Estimates and Other Taxes Paid ”
  5. Choose "show more", then Sales Tax (start/update/revisit)
  6. Choose - continue to sales tax and choose "Easy Guide"
  7. Enter your state sales tax information (If your state sales tax information is already entered you will need to edit it to enter your major purchases information.)
  8. On the screen that says Major Purchase - select "yes"
  9. Enter your vehicle information and sales tax here on the next screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies