turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdhunton

I bought a house this year. Do I list the original mortgage lender? The original lender sold the loan to another company before my first mortgage was due.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought a house this year. Do I list the original mortgage lender? The original lender sold the loan to another company before my first mortgage was due.

See the canned answer below.

If you paid daily mortgage interest from the closing to the end of the month, that may not be recorded on your 1098.  You can enter that as interest paid to the first lender not on a 1098.

----------

Most closing costs are not deductible.  Instead, they are added to the cost of the house and may reduce your capital gains when you sell.  These closing costs are deductible in the year you closed:

1. Daily mortgage interest from the day you closed to the end of the month.  Shown on your closing document, this interest may not be included on your 1098. You can add it if it wasn't included. 

2. Property taxes.  Generally, the seller has prepaid a year's worth of property taxes and the buyer pays a credit to the seller for the amount of tax that is allocated to the days you will own the home.  That property tax credit is deductible as if you paid it directly to the city or county.

3. Mortgage "points." Origination fees or points are considered a form of mortgage interest and must be deducted over the life of the loan, unless you meet certain tests.  If you paid points, turbotax will ask you questions to see if you can deduct them all at once (in the year you closed) or if you have to spread them out.  Origination fees are considered points if they are a percentage of the loan amount (not a flat fee) and if they are not assigned to any specific services like document processing, attorney fee, or other specific costs.

Your down payment is not deductible, that's you paying for the house.  Money put into escrow is not deductible until it is actually used to pay a property tax bill. Until then it's still technically your money.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

You enter each 1098 you receive one at a time. Enter the 1098 (if you have one) from the original lender first. Do not under any circumstances indicate you refinanced anything, because *you* did not.

See the canned answer below.

If you paid daily mortgage interest from the closing to the end of the month, that may not be recorded on your 1098.  You can enter that as interest paid to the first lender not on a 1098.

----------

Most closing costs are not deductible.  Instead, they are added to the cost of the house and may reduce your capital gains when you sell.  These closing costs are deductible in the year you closed:

1. Daily mortgage interest from the day you closed to the end of the month.  Shown on your closing document, this interest may not be included on your 1098. You can add it if it wasn't included. 

2. Property taxes.  Generally, the seller has prepaid a year's worth of property taxes and the buyer pays a credit to the seller for the amount of tax that is allocated to the days you will own the home.  That property tax credit is deductible as if you paid it directly to the city or county.

3. Mortgage "points." Origination fees or points are considered a form of mortgage interest and must be deducted over the life of the loan, unless you meet certain tests.  If you paid points, turbotax will ask you questions to see if you can deduct them all at once (in the year you closed) or if you have to spread them out.  Origination fees are considered points if they are a percentage of the loan amount (not a flat fee) and if they are not assigned to any specific services like document processing, attorney fee, or other specific costs.

Your down payment is not deductible, that's you paying for the house.  Money put into escrow is not deductible until it is actually used to pay a property tax bill. Until then it's still technically your money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies