turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I report as the purchasing price of a joint owned home? Property was sold and split 3 ways by three single owners and do qualify for $250k exemption.

We sold our home and split 3 ways. We do all qualify for the capital gains tax exemption of $250k per person. When filing on turbo tax, purchase price is asked when filling in the portion for the 1099-S. For each person, do we report the same original purchase price of the home or do we have to split the purchase price as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

What do I report as the purchasing price of a joint owned home? Property was sold and split 3 ways by three single owners and do qualify for $250k exemption.

Since the 1099-S was split into thirds, do the same for the basis (purchase price) of the home. 

Is the purchase price a value that follows how the sold price was split? or is the purchase price an interchangeable value?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was split evenly. If you only owned 1/3, you only purchased 1/3, but if the ratio is something different, use the accurate percentage.
When you enter the purchase price, enter the price for only your section. I hope that makes sense.

So is the purchase price based on ownership percentage?

i.e:
Split during purchase: 33/33/33
Split during sale: 70/30/0

Would the first person report the purchase price at 33% or 70%?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

33% because that was their basis. I don't understand why it went from 33 to 70 (or zero). Is there more to the story? Did someone buy someone out?

No the owner released their share of the property and allowed one of the member to absorb their share
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies