I am wondering why my federal refund is so much less this year compared to last year. I have not entered my child care costs or my car registration cost

No one can see your tax return answer question precisely but its many reason why your refund goes down from last year. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301788

For Child and Dependent Care Credit - The credit is worth anywhere from 20% to 35% of your qualified expenses, up to $3,000 (for one qualifying person) and $6,000 (for two or more qualifying persons). Your percentage depends on your AGI, with the higher percentages applying to lower incomes and vice-versa.
Car registration fee deducted on Schedule A if you itemize. If your Itimise deduction is less then standard, you will not benefit from doing it.