turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lrblmt

I am trying to enter my mileage but can't find where. It's reimbursed from my job so its an employment expense and not a part of my small business so its NOT a business expense

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I am trying to enter my mileage but can't find where. It's reimbursed from my job so its an employment expense and not a part of my small business so its NOT a business expense

Deductions for job related (W2) expenses have been suspended for tax years 2018--2025.  You can no longer take those deductions. There is no place to enter that information on your return.

Here is a link with more information for tax years before 2018.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mileage reimbursed tax-free is never a deduction.  If mileage reimbursement is taxable to you (included in your W-2 box 1 taxable income) you can take a deduction against that income.  That deduction was suspended for W-2 employees for 2018-2025, but the mileage may be deductible on your state tax return if you enter it.  (In most cases, it won't make a difference, unless the mileage is a substantial fraction of your income.). You can enter it on the Deductions and Credits page under "job-related expenses" and it will flow to your state tax return if you are eligible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies