turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am signing a consulting contract with a foreign company. I am a US citizen residing in California. Which taxes will I be responsible for? Will I need to file them quarterly or once a year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I am signing a consulting contract with a foreign company. I am a US citizen residing in California. Which taxes will I be responsible for? Will I need to file them quarterly or once a year?

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

But, if you had income from foreign sources and were either a bona fide resident of a foreign country or were physically present there for most of the year, you probably qualify to exclude some or all of your foreign income from taxation by the U.S.  Even if you don't meet those tests for foreign income exclusion, you get a credit for foreign taxes paid on our income.

For the federal and California taxes you expect to owe on your consulting income from the U.K. contract, you'll need to make quarterly estimated tax payments.  

Click here for an IRS website that explains paying Estimated Taxes

Click here for a California FTB website that explains CA estimated taxes.

You should also check for any responsibility you have for paying taxes in the U.K.

See the IRS website at this link for more information, and other links to the foreign income exclusi...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

But, if you had income from foreign sources and were either a bona fide resident of a foreign country or were physically present there for most of the year, you probably qualify to exclude some or all of your foreign income from taxation by the U.S.  Even if you don't meet those tests for foreign income exclusion, you get a credit for foreign taxes paid on our income.

For the federal and California taxes you expect to owe on your consulting income from the U.K. contract, you'll need to make quarterly estimated tax payments.  

Click here for an IRS website that explains paying Estimated Taxes

Click here for a California FTB website that explains CA estimated taxes.

You should also check for any responsibility you have for paying taxes in the U.K.

See the IRS website at this link for more information, and other links to the foreign income exclusi...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies