turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjbrouse

I am serving on active duty in the military. My wife (civilian) and I have our state of residence as Pennsylvania. The daycare that she worked at for 3/4 of the year was taking out NC state tax. The daycare that she worked for for the remainder of the yea

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I am serving on active duty in the military. My wife (civilian) and I have our state of residence as Pennsylvania. The daycare that she worked at for 3/4 of the year was taking out NC state tax. The daycare that she worked for for the remainder of the yea

You will have to file a non-resident NC tax return to get a refund of any NC tax withheld by your wife's NC employers. 

Going forward, make sure her NC employers know she is exempt from NC withholding by completing NC Form NC4 (http://www.dornc.com/downloads/nc4.pdf)

Active-duty military and their spouses are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their active-duty pay and spouse's local income are considered to be earned in their state HOR. 

When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select Pennsylvania as your state of residence (both of you);
  2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" (both of you) That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016.
  3. When asked if you "Earned money in another state?", answer "No" (unless the military member had non-military income in NC)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

the rest of the question was?
ToddL

You will have to file a non-resident NC tax return to get a refund of any NC tax withheld by your wife's NC employers. 

Going forward, make sure her NC employers know she is exempt from NC withholding by completing NC Form NC4 (http://www.dornc.com/downloads/nc4.pdf)

Active-duty military and their spouses are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their active-duty pay and spouse's local income are considered to be earned in their state HOR. 

When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select Pennsylvania as your state of residence (both of you);
  2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" (both of you) That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016.
  3. When asked if you "Earned money in another state?", answer "No" (unless the military member had non-military income in NC)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies