rturnblom

I am just starting on the medical section of tt. tt asks if I have an HSA or MSA or Ma/MSA. I answer none.tt asks what kind of hdhp did I have.None to next ? then error

I am just starting on the medical section of tt. tt asks if I have an HSA or MSA or Medicare Advantage /MSA. I answer none. tt asks what kind of hdhp did I have in Dec 2017 Answer none, Same question for wife, answer none. box pops up and says "some error occured" I can only go back from here. I have never had a HDHP before. How do I get around these questions?

BMcCalpin

You will see the question about what type of HDHP coverage did you have on December 1, 2017, because everyone sees it. Don't sweat it, just answer "none" like you did.

If you did not have an HSA nor HDHP coverage in 2017, you answered correctly: None.

I don't know why you got the box that said "some error occurred" (not very helpful, right?).

It is possible that the result of this is that TurboTax thinks that you have an HSA. If you get to the federal review and you start getting questions about form 8889 (the form that reports on your HSA), then please do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. continue with your return.

AND keep answering "None" to the December 1, 2017 question.

rturnblom

FYI - tt worked correctly and I was able to complete my return. Thanks!
BMcCalpin

Great!
BMcCalpin

*** Desktop***

*** Online ***

6. continue with your return.