turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgl-lcg

I sold one rental property in 12/16, bought two in 1/17 for 1031 exchange. Can I file two 8824 forms, split the old property based on the new property values?

For example:
Line-1 on 8824 form-1:
Old-Property-Address - 60% to New-Property-Address-1
Line-1 on 8824 form-2:
Old-Property-Address - 40% to New-Property-Address-2
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

I sold one rental property in 12/16, bought two in 1/17 for 1031 exchange. Can I file two 8824 forms, split the old property based on the new property values?

You must apportion your original basis in the relinquished property,under the Treasury Regulations, an exchanger must generally allocate basis among replacement multiple replacement properties ratably, in proportion to their relative respective values.

You may file only a summary Form 8824 and attach your own statement showing all the information requested on Form 8824 for each exchange. Include your name and identifying number at the top of each page of the statement. On the summary Form 8824, enter only your name and identifying number, "Summary" on line 1, the total recognized gain from all exchanges on line 23, and the total basis of all like-kind property received on line 25.Mail in to the IRS with your tax return.

Use TT to file a summary 8824 and then attach a personal excel spreadsheet to provide all of the details.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
view2

You must apportion your original basis in the relinquished property,under the Treasury Regulations, an exchanger must generally allocate basis among replacement multiple replacement properties ratably, in proportion to their relative respective values.

You may file only a summary Form 8824 and attach your own statement showing all the information requested on Form 8824 for each exchange. Include your name and identifying number at the top of each page of the statement. On the summary Form 8824, enter only your name and identifying number, "Summary" on line 1, the total recognized gain from all exchanges on line 23, and the total basis of all like-kind property received on line 25.Mail in to the IRS with your tax return.

Use TT to file a summary 8824 and then attach a personal excel spreadsheet to provide all of the details.

RandyG

view2 - said "You MAY file only a summary form 8824....". Does this mean that if I want I can split the transaction proportionally and file several 8824 forms. This way the basis in the new properties would be calculated correctly. If a summary is used how do you get the new basis amounts to split (in TT). Also one of the acquisitions didn't complete until after year end.

I am in the same exact situation. Really struggling with TT to get the information recorded correctly. Help is appreciated.
jenmaher2

I am also in this situation and struggling to use Turbo Tax to complete the return because of form 8824. How do we show one relinquished property replaced by two purchased properties?

I sold one rental property, bought 2 rental properties in 2019 for 1031 exchange.  Can I file two 8824 forms?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies