I am a US citizen living in Canada. Do I report income from a T4A from OAS in TurboTax?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a US citizen living in Canada. Do I report income from a T4A from OAS in TurboTax?

10 Replies

Are you filing a US or Canadian return?

I am filing both.  Your response refers to a US resident.  I am a Canadian resident and a US citizen.  Thank you for your response.

This question is for the US return.  Thanks.

You are welcome!

If you are filing a US return, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5581054

If you are not filing a US return, let me know and I will give other instructions.

Did this work?

No, as I said I am a Canadian resident, US citizen.  I talked with IRS on this & they said to enter total of SS & T4A OAS on line 5A on 1040 and 0 on line 5B (taxable amt.) & ref. Canadian Treaty  but now I don't how to do that in TurboTax.  Can you help with this?

If you enter it on that line, it will be taxed as our Social Security is. You could enter it as Canadian Retirement and enter zero as taxable distribution. It will go on lines 4 a and b but should have the same result.

I found out how to do it!  List the SSA1099's & OAS's together in TT then go and change the 1040, 1040 wk. sheet, & SS wk. sheets manually and change the taxable amt. to 0 & everything works out OK.  Yea!  Thank you for all your effort to help figure this out.  

I am glad it worked out for you!
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings