I am a teacher working on my National Board Certification, can I claim this as a deduction or credit?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a teacher working on my National Board Certification, can I claim this as a deduction or credit?

2 Replies

My national board fees were more than 2% of my AGI, but it only puts down the $250 educator deduction. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, you can deduct tuition and books required to perform your job, improve your skills, or maintain your current salary or status. 

This will be claimed as Job-Related Expenses Deduction. The first thing you should know about the Job-Related Expenses Deduction is that it is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

To enter this in TurboTax: click on the "Federal Taxes" tab > "Deductions & Credits" > scroll down to   "Employment Expenses", click show more > click start next to Job-Related Expenses.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings