turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a home health nurse and i bought a car to make my visits to patient's houses can i enter that as an expense? I havent usedit i just bought it and i am fixing it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelMc

I am a home health nurse and i bought a car to make my visits to patient's houses can i enter that as an expense? I havent usedit i just bought it and i am fixing it

The following is based on the assumption that you are paid as an independent contractor and your earnings are reported on Form 1099-MISC. The purchase price of the car and, quite probably the initial repairs costs, if needed to make the car usable, would not be a current year expense. These costs would be the basis of a depreciable asset. If you are then going to use that asset at least 50% for business purposes, you could, in each future year, take a deduction for the business share of the actual operating costs (gas, oil, minor repairs, registration, insurance, etc.) plus the annual depreciation. Or you could make life simpler by taking the standard mileage rate for all your (carefully documented) business miles. For 2017, the standard mileage rate will be 53.5 cents per mile.

If you are a W-2 employee, you can still take a deduction for unreimbursed employee travel expenses, but these expenses are limited to those that exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income, and are only deductible if your itemize deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies