turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arvoreis

I am a full time real estate investor and property manager. My wife is a Real Estate Agent. Turbotax says we are not real estate professionals!!! Why?

we worked over 4000 hours in real estate last year actively managing our rentals, investments, renovations, and brokerage. turbotax is saying we are not real estate professions. If we are not I can't imagine who would be. This is a very expensive difference!

please advise, thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

I am a full time real estate investor and property manager. My wife is a Real Estate Agent. Turbotax says we are not real estate professionals!!! Why?

You must be able to answer yes to both questions to qualify as a real estate professional.  Only time spent on real estate activities count.  Time spent managing your investment portfolio does not count toward the requirements.  Also, if your wife is a W-2 employee of the real estate firm (this is uncommon), her time doesn't count unless she has an ownership interest in the firm.  

Please follow this link for more information.  https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se/ch01.html#d0e234

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardG

You must be able to answer yes to both questions to qualify as a real estate professional.  Only time spent on real estate activities count.  Time spent managing your investment portfolio does not count toward the requirements.  Also, if your wife is a W-2 employee of the real estate firm (this is uncommon), her time doesn't count unless she has an ownership interest in the firm.  

Please follow this link for more information.  https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se/ch01.html#d0e234

arvoreis

thank you so much. I clicked both buttons and my taxes due went down by 25k 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies