turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a flight attendant based in Los Angeles but tax home is Hawaii, can I deduct my rest lodging between trips in Los Angeles?

Lodging otherwise known as "crashpads" for all flight crew.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am a flight attendant based in Los Angeles but tax home is Hawaii, can I deduct my rest lodging between trips in Los Angeles?

It depends, but probably.  If these expenses are not reimbursed, they could be counted as either miscellaneous expenses or a travel expense.  It is an ordinary expense for someone in your line of work, as rest is important for you to have in between those long flights.  To deduct these, you will use Form 2106 (where you also enter your per diem for your overnight stays while flying).  Here is some additional information to assist you with this in this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4146014

Right next to the meals deduction (per diem) is the Travel deduction.  Please see this screenshot:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but probably.  If these expenses are not reimbursed, they could be counted as either miscellaneous expenses or a travel expense.  It is an ordinary expense for someone in your line of work, as rest is important for you to have in between those long flights.  To deduct these, you will use Form 2106 (where you also enter your per diem for your overnight stays while flying).  Here is some additional information to assist you with this in this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4146014

Right next to the meals deduction (per diem) is the Travel deduction.  Please see this screenshot:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies