turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Contributions - my spouse is the only person that contributed in both 2018 & 2019. Why is Turbo Tax asking me how much I contributed?

If I look at 2018 Form 8889 as TT suggests, I see there is an amount to type in, however, those were my spouse's contributions only. I do not have an HSA with my employer.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

HSA Contributions - my spouse is the only person that contributed in both 2018 & 2019. Why is Turbo Tax asking me how much I contributed?

Enter $0 for your own contribution amount and make sure your name is not checked in ownership. In 2019, the contribution limits are $3,500 and $7,000 respectively. TurboTax is verifying total contribution amounts to determine if you were within the IRS limits.

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, confirm the following:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions
  • Confirm the account ownership and click Continue
  • Continue in through the screens until you reach Let's enter your HSA contributions
  • Stop here. If all of your contributions were through payroll deductions and reported on your W2, do not enter anything on this screen. If that is the case, either leave the box empty or type $0 in the box next to Any contributions you personally made
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Enter $0 for your own contribution amount and make sure your name is not checked in ownership. In 2019, the contribution limits are $3,500 and $7,000 respectively. TurboTax is verifying total contribution amounts to determine if you were within the IRS limits.

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, confirm the following:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions
  • Confirm the account ownership and click Continue
  • Continue in through the screens until you reach Let's enter your HSA contributions
  • Stop here. If all of your contributions were through payroll deductions and reported on your W2, do not enter anything on this screen. If that is the case, either leave the box empty or type $0 in the box next to Any contributions you personally made
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies