turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA contributions, I am not sure if I am entering them correctly

On the HSA section of the return, it asks for box 1 amount from 1099SA, then it asks for any contributions made personally (without anything to do with work) if I made a contribution with a check from my personal bank account to the HSA, can I deduct this in thiat section?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A check from your checking account to your HSA is an "after-tax" contribution. As such, it is reported on the second line of the screen entitled "Let's Enter [name] HSA contributions" (see screenshot below) - "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)".

This amount will appear on line 25 on your 1040 where it will reduce adjusted gross income.

The 1099-SA reports on distributions, not contributions.

The question you are referring to is in the section where TurboTax asks more questions about your HSA (i.e., it's finished with the 1099-SA).

The amount on the first line ("2016 employer and payroll contributions") will be the amount in box 12 on the W-2 with a code of "W".

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A check from your checking account to your HSA is an "after-tax" contribution. As such, it is reported on the second line of the screen entitled "Let's Enter [name] HSA contributions" (see screenshot below) - "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)".

This amount will appear on line 25 on your 1040 where it will reduce adjusted gross income.

The 1099-SA reports on distributions, not contributions.

The question you are referring to is in the section where TurboTax asks more questions about your HSA (i.e., it's finished with the 1099-SA).

The amount on the first line ("2016 employer and payroll contributions") will be the amount in box 12 on the W-2 with a code of "W".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies