Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to report foreign income as a part time work outside US?

Only stayed in a foreign country part time 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

How to report foreign income as a part time work outside US?

For tax purposes, foreign income is reported the same way, whether you stayed abroad part time or for the entire year. However, you probably won't qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion if you didn't stay abroad for the full 300 days...

To enter worldwide/foreign income in Turbo Tax:

  1. Federal Taxes
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Foreign Income and Exclusion - Answer “Yes” to “Did you make any money outside the United States?” and follow the interview questions. You will be asked to enter income from a U.S company, a foreign company, self-employment income, housing allowance, income from a Form W-2, 1099-MISC, schedule K-1 from a business or simply cash income - check the box A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash). You will be asked more questions about your stay abroad and the program will help you determine if your income qualifies for the exclusion...

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies