Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajwbug

How should I claim income earned and taxes paid in a foreign country if I was a US resident for the entire year?

My husband was a US resident for all of 2017, but drew a salary from a foreign institution and paid income tax in the foreign country.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

How should I claim income earned and taxes paid in a foreign country if I was a US resident for the entire year?

Since you're husband lived in the U.S., his income is not eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion.  However, if he paid foreign taxes, you you may be eligible for the Foreign Tax Credit or Deduction.

To enter foreign taxes paid, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal  > Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section and click on the box next to Foreign Taxes 
  3. On the Foreign Tax Credit screen, click on the Yes box.
  4. On the Before We Begin screen, click on the Yes box.
  5. On the Do You Want the Deduction or the Credit screen, click on the Take a Credit box.
  6. Continue through the screens.  You will be asked to select the country where you earned the income.  [You can select various if you worked in more than one country.]
  7. On the Other Gross Income - [country] screen do not re-enter your W-2 income.
  8. On the Foreign Taxes Paid - [country] screen, enter the amount of foreign taxes you paid.  
  9. You will be brought to the Country Summary.  Click Done.
  10. You will eventually be brought back to the Foreign Tax Credit Summary.  If you need to report foreign tax paid on another category of income (e.g. investment) click on the Add a Foreign tax link.  Otherwise click Done.

[Edited | 4/15/2020 | 8:40am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Since you're husband lived in the U.S., his income is not eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion.  However, if he paid foreign taxes, you you may be eligible for the Foreign Tax Credit or Deduction.

To enter foreign taxes paid, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal  > Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section and click on the box next to Foreign Taxes 
  3. On the Foreign Tax Credit screen, click on the Yes box.
  4. On the Before We Begin screen, click on the Yes box.
  5. On the Do You Want the Deduction or the Credit screen, click on the Take a Credit box.
  6. Continue through the screens.  You will be asked to select the country where you earned the income.  [You can select various if you worked in more than one country.]
  7. On the Other Gross Income - [country] screen do not re-enter your W-2 income.
  8. On the Foreign Taxes Paid - [country] screen, enter the amount of foreign taxes you paid.  
  9. You will be brought to the Country Summary.  Click Done.
  10. You will eventually be brought back to the Foreign Tax Credit Summary.  If you need to report foreign tax paid on another category of income (e.g. investment) click on the Add a Foreign tax link.  Otherwise click Done.

[Edited | 4/15/2020 | 8:40am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies