turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdmkick

Can my wife deduct the cost of furniture (guest chair) for the room in our house she uses when she teaches voice lessons?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can my wife deduct the cost of furniture (guest chair) for the room in our house she uses when she teaches voice lessons?

How much did you pay for the chair?

Yes, she can deduct percentage used for business. Office furniture, being necessary for the business, is treated as a business expense. This expense is deductible on your tax return. 

You must deduct only the amount you spend on furniture used as part of your business.

The deduction would be either depreciated over many years, or you may take a section 179 deduction to deduct all or a portion of your furniture in the year you purchase it. 

Anything purchased for less than $200 can be deducted in one year.

The items costing more than $200 and less than $500 if you attach a statement to your tax return indicating that you are electing to use this rule, deductible in one year.

Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/reporting-self-employment-business-income...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies