monbarren1977

How is my sister getting 5600 back when she only made 4500 for the year. She has one child under 17 two over 17 one in school. Is this right?

DanO

Possibly, depending on if she filled out her return properly.

With her income level being $4,500 (earned income) for the year, she could qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit.  This is a credit that is also refundable.  So if the credit brings your sister's taxes to zero, she could still get money, to the credit limit of $5,572 for two qualifying children. If the child not going to school is under 19, then that would bring the limit to $6,269.

Click here for more information from TurboTax FAQ.

monbarren1977

She is using turbo tax. She is self employed (housekeeping )