Solved: How does form 116 compute Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers? I'd prefer to take the credit this year - but Turbo tax is bumping about 1/3 of the credit out to 2017.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does form 116 compute Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers? I'd prefer to take the credit this year - but Turbo tax is bumping about 1/3 of the credit out to 2017.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 11
Level 11

How does form 116 compute Foreign Tax Credit Carryovers? I'd prefer to take the credit this year - but Turbo tax is bumping about 1/3 of the credit out to 2017.

Amount of foreign tax credit allowed  for a taxyear is based on a ration of foreign income  to world income. The un-allowed portion can be carried forward upto 10 years but again allowed  based on a ratiometric  fashion. You can take deduction for the whole amount ( itemized deduction under  taxes paid )

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 11
Level 11

Amount of foreign tax credit allowed  for a taxyear is based on a ration of foreign income  to world income. The un-allowed portion can be carried forward upto 10 years but again allowed  based on a ratiometric  fashion. You can take deduction for the whole amount ( itemized deduction under  taxes paid )

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings