turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ben7

How does a self-employed person with all income, 1099-MISC, falls under foreign earned income exclusion rule pay the social security and medicare with TurboTax?

Income is Nonemployee Compensation of 1099-MISC

Living in Taiwan during 2014 full year

Asked Social Security Administration, they said for the 2014 tax filing because the earned income is $0.0, so no social security credit is earned.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

How does a self-employed person with all income, 1099-MISC, falls under foreign earned income exclusion rule pay the social security and medicare with TurboTax?

If you are living abroad and you are a self-employed U.S. citizen or resident you generally are subject to the self-employment tax.

TurboTax will compute your foreign earned income exclusion and the Self-Employment Tax due on your net profit.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Social-Security-Tax-Consequences-of-Working-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jhonnyconv
Returning Member

I agree with you but I also live in a country where there is the Totalization Agreement so social security taxes should not be paid because I paid them already. It seems Turbo Tax has problems in considering that ... can you let me know how to solve this ? thx
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/self-employment-tax-for-businesses-abroad

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies