How do you calculate deductible moving expenses (state)?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

I am allowed to deduct moving expenses in my state return for 2018 (NOT federal level). However, I am having dilemma on how much I am legally allowed to deduct.

My company paid $17,800 to the moving company directly and $10,000 to the tax authorities for tax assistance related to the moving expense. The total $27,800 is reported in my Wage 1 boxes as income even though this money did not come directly to me. Thus, I am being taxed on it at a federal level.

In the open white space of the W2 (NOT in a box), it says "Note - Fringe benefits include: Other $17,800". 
In Box 14, it says "$27,800 MOVE"
I received an end-of-year moving expense report from the moving company that shows the $17,800 and $10,000 as under "Non-Qualified (Taxable) Moving Expenses"

Do I input that only $17,800 as my moving expenses for tax deduction or do I input $27,800?

I think I am allowed to input $27,800 because all of that is related to moving expenses. Were it not for the move, none of the $17,800 or $10,000 would have ever shown up in my Wage 1 box.
1 Reply

You enter only the $17,600.  The rest was not an eligible moving expense

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings