turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtlons

How do I treat upfront Mortgage Insurance Premiums, and property taxes, paid at closing?

I bought a house in 2016, via FHA, so I paid Mortgage Insurance Premium upfront, at closing. When I walked through TurboTax, it put that full amount in line 13 of Form 1040 Schedule A. But in doing more research, it looks like I'm supposed to spread that amount over a few years?

Also, my 1098 shows no property tax paid in Box 10, but my closing documents show I paid 2 months of taxes (closing date was mid October), so can I deduct that amount
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

0 Best answers
4 Replies
mtlons

How do I treat upfront Mortgage Insurance Premiums, and property taxes, paid at closing?

Thanks! Any idea why TurboTax doesn't automatically allocate the premium over the time period? During the prompt, it just had my fill in whatever was in Box 5 of my 1098
mtlons

Followup question...Box 5 of my 1098 is $5708, but my closing documents show MIP upfront at $5488. Which of those do I divide by 84 months?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Use the amount from your 1098 --  $5708.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, for FHA loans you have to allocate the amount of the upfront PMI across either 84 months (7 years) or the length of the mortgage, whichever is shorter. The only loans where you can take the full deduction for upfront PMI in the tax year you paid it are VA loans and USDA loans. 

As for your second question, yes you can deduct the two months of taxes indicted on your closing documents. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies