Solved: How do I take standard deduction on turbo Tax?

rickfwhittaker

How do I take standard deduction on turbo Tax?

AlanT

When you finish going through the Deductions & Credits section, we'll automatically give you the deduction, standard or itemized, that gives you the best outcome on your federal taxes.

In TurboTax, you can always switch to a different deduction. However, if you and your spouse are filing separate federal returns, both of you must take the same deduction per IRS rules.

Tip: It's best to hold off on switching until after you've finished going through the Deductions & Credits section. That way you can get an accurate picture of how both deductions affect your bottom line. Also, keep in mind that switching to the other federal deduction may impact your state tax return.

TurboTax Online instructions

Just be aware that you must still claim all of your self-employed expense deductions.
AlanT

TurboTax Online instructions