usersk166

How do I submit expense categories (e.g. dry wall repairs, kitchen repairs) outside of the standard fields in TurboTax (i.e. Advertising, Mgmt, Fees, Travel, Repairs)?

KathrynG3

Yes, you can do this in TurboTax. When you are in the expense categories, and have selected Add expenses for this work, you could scroll down to Other miscellaneous expenses and enter expenses there. 

However, dry wall repairs and kitchen repairs may need to be capitalized, where the expense is carried over more than one year. Whenever you have a building improvement, there is often a special treatment. For purchases with individual receipts of $2,500 or less, there is a de minimus/safe harbor election.

Please see these articles to learn more: What can I expense or depreciate with the business safe harbor election?

Depreciation of Business Assets

Tax Deductions for Rental Property Depreciation

KathrynG3

Depreciation of Business Assets