doryon

How do I specify in my federal return that I want to take the standard deduction rather than itemizing?

ChristieB

If you go to Deductions & Credits, click I'll choose what I work on, and then scroll down to click Done with Deductions

You will have to click through a few screens, such as the summary screen for your deductions and credits. 

The Standard/Itemized deduction screen should come up soon after, along with a small box to check if you'd like to change your deduction from standard to itemized. 

The default is the Standard Deduction unless your Itemized Deductions are greater than the standard deduction for your filing status.  TurboTax only uses the greater of the two types of deductions.
ChristieB

doryon

Thanks! Very helpful.  Does Massachusetts accept charitable contribution deductions?