How do I report income from this sale of property? I received a 1099-S for the sale of a tiny piece of a much larger property that I inherited for a pipeline easement.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report income from this sale of property? I received a 1099-S for the sale of a tiny piece of a much larger property that I inherited for a pipeline easement.

How do I report income from this sale of property? I received a 1099-S for the sale of a tiny piece of a much larger property that I, along with my other 2 siblings inherited back in 1980. The sale was for a permanent pipeline easement. The entire property is 92.8 acres, but the part sold for the easement is described as: Permanent easement 50 feet in width upon the 92.8 acres. The right of way easement is 36.86 rods (each rod is 5 1/2 yards long). My 1/3 of the sale was $12,286. The part of our property that was sold for the easement is not used for any business nor is it rental property. My 1099-S is only for the amount I received, not the total sale amount because it is divided between me and my other 2 siblings. I'm confused on how to enter the information so Turbo Tax doesn't see it as the whole 92.8 acres that was sold. How do I enter this information?

1 Reply
Level 12

You can prorate the basis (FMV of the entire property on the date of the decedent's death) based on a square footage percentage of the easement to the entire 92.8 acres and then divide that amount by 3 to report your share of the sale on your tax return.   Where do I enter the sale of an inherited home?  

TurboTax MarilynG's answer to a similar question

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings