Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsuhelp18

How do I report foreign RSU shares I sold in my 2018 taxes?

I am a U.S. citizen and live in the U.S.  I work for a foreign company.  I had RSUs  for my foreign company that I vested in 2015.  The company withheld shares to cover taxes and reported in my W-2 at that time.  I sold my remaining vested shares in 2018.   I did not receive a 1099-B.  How do I report these shares I sold in my 2018 taxes?  Do I have to indicate that these were foreign shares anywhere?  Do I just find the price per share on the day I vested in US dollars and my cost basis is only the shares I received, and not the ones withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I report foreign RSU shares I sold in my 2018 taxes?

"How do I report these shares I sold in my 2018 taxes?"

You use the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and tell TurboTax you did not receive a 1099-B.

"Do I have to indicate that these were foreign shares anywhere?"

For purposes of the sale?  NO.

"Do I just find the price per share on the day I vested in US dollars and my cost basis is only the shares I received, and not the ones withheld?"

Your per share cost basis is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by the employer to report the compensation created by the vesting in 2015.

Compensation on W-2 = GROSS number of shares vesting x per share "fair market value"

If you can't figure this out then, if the stock is publicly traded, use the closing price on the day of vesting as an estimate of your per share basis.

You multiply this "per share" number times the number of shares sold as your cost.

There's absolutely NO NEED to use the RSU Guide me step by step interview here.  Just use the default "stock" interview, entering the correct numbers.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies