turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove the CA state home sale worksheet from my desktop version of turbo tax? The property was a rental property in UT but CA thinks it is my home property?

I sold a rental property in UT in 2017. I have lived in CA for 4 yrs. In the federal section, I listed that sale of a business property but not a sale of a home property. When I go to the CA state return, it thinks my rental property sale is a home property sale. How do I remove the CA home sale worksheet. The sale had nothing to do with CA and it is not my home but a rental property sale.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

How do I remove the CA state home sale worksheet from my desktop version of turbo tax? The property was a rental property in UT but CA thinks it is my home property?

In FORMS mode, you should be able to delete the CA home sales worksheet from your CA return. 

In the Personal Info section, make sure you indicated that you 'made money in other states' and name Utah as the state.

This sets up Utah in TurboTax for the non-resident state return.  If you have the property set up in your Federal return as being located in Utah, the sale info should flow into the Utah return.

There are two places to enter the sale of rental property in TurboTax.  Here are details on how to do that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6686119

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

In FORMS mode, you should be able to delete the CA home sales worksheet from your CA return. 

In the Personal Info section, make sure you indicated that you 'made money in other states' and name Utah as the state.

This sets up Utah in TurboTax for the non-resident state return.  If you have the property set up in your Federal return as being located in Utah, the sale info should flow into the Utah return.

There are two places to enter the sale of rental property in TurboTax.  Here are details on how to do that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6686119

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies