turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i know if my HSA Contribution is already reported for my AGI in Federal taxes? I need to know this since i can't use it in my Georgia return if that is the case.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

How do i know if my HSA Contribution is already reported for my AGI in Federal taxes? I need to know this since i can't use it in my Georgia return if that is the case.

If your HSA contributions were made through your employer (either by your employer or by you through payroll deduction), then the amount appears in box 12 on your W-2 with a code of W. This code W amount is removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 before your W-2 is even printed, so you will not see any deduction for the contributions, and unless you ask your employer, you have no way of knowing this unless you read form 8889 carefully (it's on line 9).

If you made direct contributions to your HSA outside of your employer (on line 2 of the 8889), then you would see this on Schedule 1, line 12.

Are you asking about the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction? That normally refers to the premiums for your HDHP health policy (typically reported with a code of DD in box 12 on your W-2.

If this is the case, do not be concerned - you are not eligible for this Georgia deduction because you already got it on your federal return, whose numbers flow down to Georgia.

Make sense?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If your HSA contributions were made through your employer (either by your employer or by you through payroll deduction), then the amount appears in box 12 on your W-2 with a code of W. This code W amount is removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 before your W-2 is even printed, so you will not see any deduction for the contributions, and unless you ask your employer, you have no way of knowing this unless you read form 8889 carefully (it's on line 9).

If you made direct contributions to your HSA outside of your employer (on line 2 of the 8889), then you would see this on Schedule 1, line 12.

Are you asking about the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction? That normally refers to the premiums for your HDHP health policy (typically reported with a code of DD in box 12 on your W-2.

If this is the case, do not be concerned - you are not eligible for this Georgia deduction because you already got it on your federal return, whose numbers flow down to Georgia.

Make sense?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies