turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rfw6176

How do I input the dog medicine I donated to the humane society (after my dog died)? The automated system only lists basic dog items.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I input the dog medicine I donated to the humane society (after my dog died)? The automated system only lists basic dog items.

In Online TurboTax, you cannot enter a custom item in the ItsDeductible applet (it is possible in the desktop version, but even there one would still have to provide the value.)  So if your item is not listed in the standard choices, enter it as a separate donation and provide the value.

• Go through the Donations section again.
  • On a screen that will ask you "what charity" and what did you donate?   enter charity name and click ITEMS.
  • On next screen "How do you want to value your donations?"   Choose "I'll value them."
  • Next screen:  Enter date of donation.
  • Next screen:  Choose category:  Household items
  • Next screen:  enter description, value, and method used to determine value.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you referring to the standalone ItsDeductible website, or are you working in TurboTax and asking about the built-in ItsDeductible applet inside TurboTax?

Are you using online TurboTax, or the desktop version?
rfw6176

I am using online Turbo Tax

In Online TurboTax, you cannot enter a custom item in the ItsDeductible applet (it is possible in the desktop version, but even there one would still have to provide the value.)  So if your item is not listed in the standard choices, enter it as a separate donation and provide the value.

• Go through the Donations section again.
  • On a screen that will ask you "what charity" and what did you donate?   enter charity name and click ITEMS.
  • On next screen "How do you want to value your donations?"   Choose "I'll value them."
  • Next screen:  Enter date of donation.
  • Next screen:  Choose category:  Household items
  • Next screen:  enter description, value, and method used to determine value.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies