• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdpeters

How do I get Turbotax to use itemized deduction for the State return (CA), when the Fed return has shown standard deduction to be better?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Level 7

How do I get Turbotax to use itemized deduction for the State return (CA), when the Fed return has shown standard deduction to be better?

TT/Calif automatically uses the larger of the Calif itemized deductions - which are different from federal - or the Calif standard deduction. Be sure to enter all itemized deductions into the federal return - TT/Calif gets them from there.

See Part II of Calif Schedule CA. The amount on line 30 is the larger of the two.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TerryA
Level 7

TT/Calif automatically uses the larger of the Calif itemized deductions - which are different from federal - or the Calif standard deduction. Be sure to enter all itemized deductions into the federal return - TT/Calif gets them from there.

See Part II of Calif Schedule CA. The amount on line 30 is the larger of the two.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v