turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i get the travel/car reimbursment back on tax break?

The company i am working for told me that all my expenses for travel, mileague etc will be reimburst in a form of tax break.deduciton. I did not get any reimbursment from my company for anything.  I was an outside sales rep and had to travel around alot using my own vehicle and paid for gas.  when i filed for deduction, I had at least $6k in expenses (miles and gas).  I filed my return and my reimbursment amount was not on there.  How will i be able to get reimburstment for the expenses? do i need to file a reimburstment form ( form 1040)? 

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
1 Reply

How do i get the travel/car reimbursment back on tax break?

You will not get a dollar for dollar reimbursement for your vehicle expenses, but rather a reduction of taxable income.

For instance, if you are in the 28% tax bracket, your $6,000 in expenses may net you roughly $1,700 as an increase in refund or reduction in tax due.

To deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses, you must:

1.    Itemize  deductions (ie. Medical, mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable giving, ect) must exceed your Standard Deduction.

2.    If you itemize, your deduction is limited to the extent that it exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

For example, if you itemize your deductions and your Adjusted Gross Income is $50,000, 2% would equal $1,000

You can only deduct the dollar amount that exceeds $1,000-in your case, $5,000


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies