turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get a refund, via my income tax return, for Maryland non-resident seller transfer withholding tax that shouldn't have been paid during the sale of my home?

I lived in my MD home from 2013 to 2017, and sold it in mid 2019. I lived out of state from 2017 to late 2019, and rented out my MD home until a few months before it was sold.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

How do I get a refund, via my income tax return, for Maryland non-resident seller transfer withholding tax that shouldn't have been paid during the sale of my home?

To obtain a refund of the Maryland non-resident seller transfer withholding you would file a Maryland non resident Form 505.  Line 44 is where you would enter the amount withheld. See Maryland Tax Booklet - Form 505.

You will need to add Maryland as a state in TurboTax and file as a non resident.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I moved back to Maryland in December of 2019. Therefore, as of right now, I am filing as a part-year resident for both Maryland and Pennsylvania. Does that make a difference? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

No, part year resident won't matter. MD conforms to the federal home sales exclusion rules. 

But, tax will be assessed on the rental portion of the capital gain (the depreciation recapture).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies