tomp9858

How do I file just using the standard deduction and not entering deductions and credits.

I want to use form that does not require entering deductions and credits.
Bsch4477

You don’t have to report any deductions if that is what you want to do. 

ErnieS0

TurboTax will let you skip Deductions & Credits and file with the standard deduction. To do this, say no or $0 whenever TurboTax asks a question about deductions.

• After you Wrap up Income, TurboTax will ask if you were affected by natural disasters or bought or sold cryptocurrency. Say No.
  • Next you will see OK, let’s do a quick check for tax breaks. Click Let’s Get Started.
  • On Let's save some time - and still get your biggest deduction, click Ok, let’s confirm this.
  • Answer No or $0 to all the tiles asking about deductions.
  • On Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you, TurboTax will show a larger standard deduction. Click OK, sounds good.
  • Answer all the next set of questions, No I didn’t.
  • On Great! We've got your tax breaks covered, click Wrap up tax breaks and go to Other Tax Situations.

If your State allows for any type of itemized deductions, though, you normally must enter those in Federal first.

If you want to skip entering your itemized deductions you can do that.  Many people will not have enough itemized deductions this year to itemize, and will just be getting their new higher standard deduction.  The thing is, though, that some of those deductions could make a difference on a state return even if they do not affect your federal return.  Information flows from your federal return to your state return, so it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and enter them anyhow.  It cannot hurt you.

The following states allow you to itemize deductions on just the state return: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, and Wisconsin, 

tomp9858

Thank you!