elizabethbadowsk

How do I enter my child’s part-time income?

He was 17 when he earned it in 2019

You do NOT enter a dependent's earned income on your tax return.

The dependent can file their own tax return to report the income and indicate on their tax return that they can be claimed as a dependent.

Hal_Al

If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2019 if he had any of the following:

1. Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $12,200.
  2. Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1100.
  3. Unearned income over $350 AND gross income of more than $1100
  4. Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2100 ($12.200 if under age 18)
  5. Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.

If his only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. Enter at Less common income / Child's income.

A child’s income earned from working is always reported on a tax return in the child’s own name, even if the child qualifies as a dependent.  

if the child’s only income is interest or dividends, it can sometimes be reported on the parents’ return.