turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter 2018 payments made with 2018 extensions to multiple states (NY and NJ)?

When I go to Federal Taxes --> Deductions and Credits-->Payment with 2018 state extension, the instructions state the following:  "If you've made extension payments on multiple state returns, select Multiple States from the list and enter the total amount of state extension payments. Make sure to go to each state return and enter the extension payment for that state."  Problem is I cannot find anywhere in the NY and NJ state returns any place to enter the extension payments made for each state.  Can someone please advise? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How do I enter 2018 payments made with 2018 extensions to multiple states (NY and NJ)?

The basic approach is to tell TurboTax you want to file a state extension, then tell it that you already filed an extension.

New York

• On the screen "You Just Finished Your New York Return," scroll down to the section "Other Forms and Voluntary Contributions." Click the Update button for "Other forms."
  • On the next screen, click the Start or Update button for "Request Extension of Time to File (Form IT-370)."
  • Click "Do Extension"
  • Select "Yes, I've already filed a New York extension. . . ." A box then appears where you can enter the amount you paid with the extension. Enter the amount, click Continue, then click Done with Other Forms.

New Jersey

The New Jersey procedure is somewhat more convoluted than New York.

• On the screen "You've Finished Your New Jersey Return," scroll down to Other Situations and click the Update button.
  • The next screen asks about estimated taxes. Click No.
  • On the next screen, "File an Extension for New Jersey," click Do Extension.
  • On the next screen, "Print and File Your Extension," click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Extension Completed," click Continue.
  • The next screen asks about amending a New Jersey return. Click No.
  • Now you are back at "You've Finished Your New Jersey Return." Again scroll down to Other Situations and click the Update button.
  • On the screen about estimated taxes click No.
  • The next screen asks whether you mailed your extension. Click Yes.
  • Do you want to review your New Jersey extension? Click Yes.
  • The next screen says "Report Extension Payment," but you don't enter the payment there. The amounts don't really matter. Just click Continue.
  • On the next screen, enter the amount of the payment and click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Print and File Your Extension," click Continue. Then click Continue again, then No for an amended New Jersey return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The basic approach is to tell TurboTax you want to file a state extension, then tell it that you already filed an extension.

New York

• On the screen "You Just Finished Your New York Return," scroll down to the section "Other Forms and Voluntary Contributions." Click the Update button for "Other forms."
  • On the next screen, click the Start or Update button for "Request Extension of Time to File (Form IT-370)."
  • Click "Do Extension"
  • Select "Yes, I've already filed a New York extension. . . ." A box then appears where you can enter the amount you paid with the extension. Enter the amount, click Continue, then click Done with Other Forms.

New Jersey

The New Jersey procedure is somewhat more convoluted than New York.

• On the screen "You've Finished Your New Jersey Return," scroll down to Other Situations and click the Update button.
  • The next screen asks about estimated taxes. Click No.
  • On the next screen, "File an Extension for New Jersey," click Do Extension.
  • On the next screen, "Print and File Your Extension," click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Extension Completed," click Continue.
  • The next screen asks about amending a New Jersey return. Click No.
  • Now you are back at "You've Finished Your New Jersey Return." Again scroll down to Other Situations and click the Update button.
  • On the screen about estimated taxes click No.
  • The next screen asks whether you mailed your extension. Click Yes.
  • Do you want to review your New Jersey extension? Click Yes.
  • The next screen says "Report Extension Payment," but you don't enter the payment there. The amounts don't really matter. Just click Continue.
  • On the next screen, enter the amount of the payment and click Continue.
  • On the next screen, "Print and File Your Extension," click Continue. Then click Continue again, then No for an amended New Jersey return.

That was super complicated but worked like a charm!  I never would have figured that out by myself.  Thank you!!!

Hello ... if you haven't completed your forms, don't forget to enter your payments/extensions on the Federal Carryover worksheet. I have two states as you do, only they are NJ and MA. If you are so "lucky" as to have local payment(s) and extension(s), you'll find the places to fill the form.

@KlisterKid

Why are you adding something to a thread more than 4 years old ??? 

because i'm behind in completing the returns (and I've made more than enough in estimated payments) and the thread was still open to add replies.

Are you "on the watch" for older comments? If so, why do you care OR do need a "productive" outlet for your time? :(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies