Solved: How do i deduct health insurance premiums

How do i deduct health insurance premiums

My Paycheck comes from Public Employees Retirement Service- Which is for government employees. I worked & retired from a City Government. My Insurance premium is directly through the City's Benefits office. I pay that separately from the Retirement through PERS. Can I deduct that money.

Yes, you can deduct medical insurance if you itemize and if you pay the premiums after tax (rather than pre tax)

The total expenses for you, your spouse, and your dependents must exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income (7.5% if you're 65 or older as of December 31, 2016).

The deduction is limited to the expenses above and beyond this amount.

See Deducting Medical, Dental, and Vision Expenses

To enter medical expenses:

• Type in medical expenses, sch a the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the medical expenses, sch a link in the search results

• Follow to prompts and online instructions

To enter medical expenses: