turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I carry back an excess foreign tax credit to the previous year? Is there a form/worksheet for this?

I cannot see how to apply an excess foreign tax credit to previous year.  Do I have to first amend the prior year return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I carry back an excess foreign tax credit to the previous year? Is there a form/worksheet for this?

assuming, you did not make an election in the prior year to forgo filing form 1116. the FTC is carried back by filing an amended return. if you made the election the carryback is not allowed.

the carryback goes on line 10 on the 1116 for the same category of income as the carryback

if there is already a carryforward from that year the carryback will not benefit you. 

also, be aware that generally the FTC is limited to the US tax multiplied by the ratio of foreign taxable income of that category to total taxable income

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@danieljameswatso  agreeing with @Mike9241 's great reply,  may I just point out that something @Mike9241  said  on the last line of his note ----  that  you can avail of the foreign tax credit if, and only if , there was foreign income  of that category -- this is implied  by the ratiometric ( foreign income  to world income, taxes thereof )  treatment of the available credit.  It may not be obvious till you compute the  allowable credit for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies