john-andrea-vale

How do I access the screen to "Report Foreign Dividends" in Form 1099-DIV? I entered the foreign tax paid, but the program won't give me the option to report the tax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

foreign dividends are entered on form 1099-div (there is no separate form for foreign dividemnds) along with the section for foreign taxes. 

there is an election you might use if foreign taxes from investment income  (dividends, interest) is less than $600  married filing joint or $300 in all other cases.  You can elect out of filing form 1116 in that case there is no need to link the foreign tax section of the 1099 div to an 1116

Nagam

(1) So I should prepare and report dividends received from a foreign company in a Form 1099-DIV ?

(2) If the dividends are from different `companies, but deposited in one bank can I show them all in a single  Form 1099-DIV? 
(3) where can I show the expenses incurred by me for following up with the foreign entities for collecting and depositing these dividends in my bank account?   Expenses were around $6500 and the dividends received were $32,500 in that year. 

Thanks