turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I claim back tax paid on imputed income when my LDA is my tax dependent

Back in 2017 I added my mother to my medical insurance as my LDA. Since then I have been paying the insurance premium for my mother was considered as extra taxable income (imputed income). I claim my mother as tax dependent and I didn’t know if your LDA as tax dependent you don’t have to pay the premium tax. My employer says there's nothing they can do on there side just to make sure that I’m not going to paid the premium tax going forward . I don't thing is right. How can I claim the extra tax that I paid for 2017, 2018 and what I need to do for this year? Thank you so much, DG
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@Metalfamily2112 wrote:
Back in 2017 I added my mother to my medical insurance as my LDA. Since then I have been paying the insurance premium for my mother was considered as extra taxable income (imputed income). I claim my mother as tax dependent and I didn’t know if your LDA as tax dependent you don’t have to pay the premium tax. My employer says there's nothing they can do on there side just to make sure that I’m not going to paid the premium tax going forward . I don't thing is right. How can I claim the extra tax that I paid for 2017, 2018 and what I need to do for this year? Thank you so much, DG

I believe this is an issue you are going to have to hammer out with your employer. You can always amend your prior year returns but you should have corrected W-2s before doing so. Otherwise, the IRS will probably question your (re-stated) figures.

Going forward, you simply need to get your employer to issue your W-2 with the correct amount (i.e., without the imputed income), which may be more difficult than it sounds.

@tagteam 

thank you for taking the time answering my question, I know is going to be a struggle but I have to do something. 

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies