turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bummyguy

How can I check standard vs. itemized deducted for *state* return?

For federal, TurboTax showed a breakdown of standard vs. itemized deductions and made a recommendation.  I'd like to see the same comparison for state (NC if it matters) so I can judge whether its worthwhile to enter details of additional deductions.  This seems like a pretty basic thing, but I'm unable to find it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not include a comparison between standard and itemized deductions for states like it does for federal.

Please note that for NC, the standard deduction for the 2019 tax year is $10,000 for single filers, $20,000 for joint filers and $15,000 for heads of household.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bummyguy

>TurboTax does not include a comparison between standard and itemized deductions for states like it does for federal.
Why not?  TurboTax must be calculating the itemized deductions for state in order to make correct decision about whether to take standard or itemize.  Even if it doesn't include a fancy graphic/explanation for its choice, just displaying the itemized amount would be useful.  That seems like a pretty basic feature.

Please note that for NC, the standard deduction for the 2019 tax year is $10,000 for single filers, $20,000 for joint filers and $15,000 for heads of household.

Yes, I'm familiar with the NC thresholds.  There is a range where it could make sense to take standard deduction for federal and itemized for state.  I'd like to be able to see where things stand so I can decide whether it makes sense to spend the effort to enter a bunch more deductions or if I'm far enough away from itemizing that I shouldn't bother.  I guess I can do this by making up deductions of different sizes and checking how my tax due changes, but that seems unnecessarily complicated...

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

What state are you filing in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies