turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sjazzfan

Home equity loan interest

My sister took a home equity loan out to help me get in a new house.  I made the payments on the loan can I claim the interest on my taxes or can she?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Neither. To deduct interest on a debt, the taxpayer must be legally liable for the debt. Assuming you are not a signer on the home equity loan, you cannot deduct the interest. 

In order to deduct interest paid on home equity loans, the proceeds must have been used exclusively to buy, build, or substantially improve the taxpayer's home that secures the loan. If the home equity loan proceeds were use as down payment assistance for your house, they would not qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What about if I refinanced my primary property the property that secures the loan and used the proceeds to buy a second property?  Also under my name?

I think I am getting confused by the language: 

California does not conform to the new federal law that limits taxpayers to the interest on $750,000 ($375,000 for married filing separate) of home mortgage acquisition debt. California allows taxpayers to deduct interest on loans up to $1,000,000 ($500,000 for married filing separate). Additionally, federal law also limited the deduction on up to

$100,000 for interest on home equity indebtedness, UNLESS THE LOAN WAS USED TO BUY, BUILD, OR SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVE your home that secures the loan.

Thank you,

MQ.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies