turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I am under my F1 visa. I just started a masters program in PA in the year of 2016. I am also working full time at the moment under CPT. Am I exempt for FICA tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hi, I am under my F1 visa. I just started a masters program in PA in the year of 2016. I am also working full time at the moment under CPT. Am I exempt for FICA tax?

since when are you on F1?

The first F1 I received was 2011. And That was for an undergrad program so after I graduated at 2015 I got my OPT and worked for a year. 2016 of June I have exited the country and went back home. I applied for a masters degree and I started my master's degree and got a new F1 visa at October 2016.

Non-resident alien students on F1 are exempt from FICA taxes, however, since you were on F1 (including OPT) for more than 5 calendar years, you are not exempt from FICA taxes anymore.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies