turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neeraj79

Hi,I am filing 1099 MISC Self employment. For Vehicle Mileage deduction Can someone pls clarify what happens incase we don't a proof or log of miles driven for business?

I am just entering an approximate mileage information. Does IRS come back asking for proof ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi,I am filing 1099 MISC Self employment. For Vehicle Mileage deduction Can someone pls clarify what happens incase we don't a proof or log of miles driven for business?

You are taking a risk of audit. The IRS does not permit the approximation of vehicle miles driven for business purposes. 

If you do not have a detailed log of when and how far you drove for business purposes, you will lose the deduction. 

For more information on the IRS Business Mileage Deduction, follow this link: Business Use of Vehicle

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You are taking a risk of audit. The IRS does not permit the approximation of vehicle miles driven for business purposes. 

If you do not have a detailed log of when and how far you drove for business purposes, you will lose the deduction. 

For more information on the IRS Business Mileage Deduction, follow this link: Business Use of Vehicle

neeraj79

Thanks Carolyn, However when entering the mileage i see there is an option to check/uncheck if we do not have an evidence or receipt of miles travelled.  I assumed by checking this box i am declaring that i don't have any record or log so no question of audit.  I am in a situation where we commute everyday to work, the distance traveled is same everyday, how does one keep a daily record of mileage in such cases ? We can only do a rough calculation of the distance travelled times number of weeks in a year.

You keep track of the days you work (your pay stub is sufficient evidence) and the internet can support the mileage.
neeraj79

Thank you Carolyn. Appreciate it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies