Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Hello I forgot to file child care and now I need help

I need help filing a child tax credit.
1 Reply
Level 15

Hello I forgot to file child care and now I need help

The child and dependent care credit and the child tax credit are two different credits.  As for the child tax credit, if you were eligible for it the software would have automatically included it when you prepared your tax return.  You can see the amount of the child tax credit you got on your Form 1040A on line 35; on Form 1040 line 52 

If you filed without entering the child and dependent care credit, you need the Tax ID or Social Security number of your childcare provider.  If your original return has been fully processed and you have received your refund, you can amend to put in the childcare credit.  You go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child and Dependent Care Credit.

To amend:

If you need to enter additional information, delete something, or change something on the the tax return you already filed, you have to wait until your return has been fully processed, then you can prepare an amended return, called a 1040X.  You cannot e-file a 1040X.  It must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS. 

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings