Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

health insurance

My daughter made over the amount for us to claim her as a dependent. however she is on our health marketplace insurance1095-A.  how do i fill out a 8962 as the Irs has sent a letter requesting this form as well as the copy of 1095-A. Help

3 Replies
Expert Alumni

health insurance

The form 1095-A has to be prorated for all the persons on the plan. If her name is on the 1095-A, that form needs to be entered on her return. Normally, then one 1095-A spreads across several returns, amounts can be allocated to each party.


You can split things up using any percentage everyone agrees on.


Form 8962 is generated when Form 1095-A is entered. If you have a shared policy because three persons are on the same form but on different returns, you will need to prorate the amounts on the form.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

health insurance

Thanks for the reply how do i figure out the percentages? we paid all insurance for her. so i just want to do the percentages correctly.

Expert Alumni

health insurance

It is up to you. You can claim 100% yourself or divide the amount by the number of people on the policy. As long as it adds up to 100% between the two returns, you are good.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies