turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Head of Household filling

I would like to file my 2019 tax return as a Head of Household. I do qualify for the filing as stated by IRS (single, both parents lived with me in my house whole year, they make less than $4,200 a year and receive only Social Security, I provide more than half of my parents total support each year).

However, their CPA did their taxes and already filled their tax returns for 2019 and failed to check Someone can claim them as dependent.

Can I still file my tax returns as a Head of Household? Would IRS accept my tax return? Anything can be done to make this happen? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You will be unable to e-file the return as your parents have already claimed their exemption on a 2019 federal tax return. They need to be your dependents on your return. 

You should have them file an amended return and answer yes to the question that someone can claim them as a dependent. Then you can go ahead and file your return after their amended return is processed. The IRS currently is not processing paper returns, and all amended returns are filed on paper. You should not file your return until their amended return is processed, which in normal times takes 6 weeks. It may take you a while to resolve this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You will be unable to e-file the return as your parents have already claimed their exemption on a 2019 federal tax return. They need to be your dependents on your return. 

You should have them file an amended return and answer yes to the question that someone can claim them as a dependent. Then you can go ahead and file your return after their amended return is processed. The IRS currently is not processing paper returns, and all amended returns are filed on paper. You should not file your return until their amended return is processed, which in normal times takes 6 weeks. It may take you a while to resolve this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies